Larry Acterman Public Education Award
Larry Acterman was a teacher in the Long Beach Unified School District for 33 years. He primarily taught social studies and spent the majority of his career at public middle schools. Mr. Acterman was a dedicated teacher and mentor, and a strong believer in the public school system. He was a proponent at local, regional and national levels, always advocating for improvements at individual schools, both within the district, and throughout the state. This scholarship honors his memory by encouraging the next generation of public school teachers.
Applicants for this scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- A high school senior (and US citizen) graduating from the Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) or the Garden Grove Unified School District (GGUSD), who plans to enroll in a full-time course of study which leads to a degree and a California teaching credential at an accredited four-year public college or university in the state of California
- A college freshman (and US citizen) currently enrolled in and attending an accredited four-year public college or university in the state of California, and actively pursuing a full-time course of study which leads to a degree and a California teaching credential
- Demonstrate a strong commitment and interest in pursuing a career in public education as a K-12 public school teacher in California.
- Demonstrate outstanding scholastic ability, and a determination to graduate from college and become a California public school teacher.
For this scholarship you must arrange for a total of three letters of recommendation:
- At least one letter must be from a member of your school staff (e.g. teacher, academic counselor, principal, etc.).
- At least one letter must be from an unrelated adult who has been involved with you in some significant activity outside of school (e.g.
work supervisor, volunteer coordinator, community mentor, etc.),
- The third letter may be from either of the two categories above.
To apply for this scholarship, please click on the sign up button at the top right-hand side of this page and follow the instructions to create an account.